How to restore dried art oil paint

How to restore dried art oil paint
I want to show how I reanimated the old oil paint for later use. I was interested to restore paint, because now it is a rarity. Paint age about 50 years. I do not want to leave paint as a museum piece and I plan to use it for its intended purpose.

Old art oil paint
Breaking the tubes of paint, I was surprised - the paint was still a bit soft, like cool clay.

Chopped old art oil paint
I chopped the paint into pieces and left it until drying. The paint has dried for several months. During this time, I sometimes broke it into smaller pieces.

Ground dry art oil paint
When the paint is dry, I crushed it as much as possible and then ground it with mortar pestle. It was not easy to do.

Ground paint, linseed oil, mortar pestle
I mixed the dry pigment of the paint with linseed oil and ground it with mortar pestle.

Restored paint
The paint came to life.

1 comment: